My Katrina Loss-RIP Uncle Pat 08/29/08

Even though it was 3 years ago we lost my Uncle Pat, each year on the anniversary of Katrina, I think of what he endured by staying behind trying to fight the storm head on.


See, my Uncle Pat was 80 years old and the previous year he had evacuated to Texas with his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. That ride proved to be to hard on him, sitting in hours of traffic, babies crying, all to be a false alarm. Sure, his family begged him to leave. Sure, his family worried about him.
But if people survived Hurricane Betsy, Katrina would be no match, right?

As a child, my favorite Christmas moments were spent with my family at Aunt Celie and Uncle Pat's house. Uncle Pat would dress up like Santa Claus and hand out presents to all of the children. I still have pictures. It had to be at least 100 or more family members gathered together. The Gracianette's, Turner's, Joubert's and more had met in their New Orleans East home for over 50 years. And as I was still evacuated in Dallas, it was devastating to think that this would be one of the first Christmas holidays that I didn't spend with them.


There was an article printed in the Times-Picayune about my uncle a few months after the storm. It read of many wonderful things about my family and our traditions. But one thing that has never left me is what they found when the recovery team tore into his attic. They believed he suffocated from the heat and lack of oxygen when he climbed up towards the roof to avoid the rising water. As he lay there, he had on his Tulane Green Wave baseball cap, his rosary in one hand and a picture of my Aunt Celie in the other. A devout Catholic, a loving husband and a dedicated fan. The true essence of our New Orleans heritage.


To those who lost family, friends, pets, homes, etc. let us never loose that essence of who we are. We may have been forgotten those first few days when the levees broke, but now let us stand strong together and rebuild a better New Orleans and become a place they will never forget. Yes, we have great food, the best parties and unique culture, but lets remind the world that we have great people too, with a great love for our city, who deserve the right and RESPECT to rebuild whats ours.


In memory of everyone we lost as a result of Hurricane Katrina. May you rest in eternal peace forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment